With so much herbalism information centred around America, it can be hard to find information about herb sources for Canada when you’re starting out! I’m fortunate to have health stores around me who stock a variety of herbs in their bulk section but not everyone has that option and some herbs can just be hard to track down. Over the years, I’ve ordered from a variety of different sources while trying to keep in mind the importance of organic and ethical sources.
Here are my top 3 favourite high quality places to order online for both dried herbs and seeds:
- Harmonic Arts Botanical Dispensary (BC) – Huge variety of high quality herbs and herbal products. I consider it the Canadian equivalent of Mountain Rose Herbs
- Organic Matters (BC) – A growing selection of bulk organic dried herbs at excellent prices
- Richters Herbs (Ontario) – Beyond being a good source for bulk herbs, they also sell a wide variety of live plants and seeds
- Urban Harvest (Ontario) – Organic and heirloom seeds with lots of unique varieties of herbs, flowers, and vegetables to choose from
- William Dam Seeds (Ontario) – High quality, untreated seeds with a great selection of vegetables as well
- Hawthorn Farm Organic Seeds (Ontario) – Organic, open pollinated, non-GMO seeds with a good selection of useful medicinals under herbs & flowers
- *bonus* Strictly Medicinal Seeds (US) – Deserves a mention due to their fabulous selection. If you can’t find a Canadian source for what you’re looking for, definitely try here!
Be sure to send away for some seed catalogues because they’re beautiful sources of information and inspiration during the long winter months! I’ve already had a few arrive and it’s very exciting to look to spring possibilities.
Let us know in the comments about your favourite online herb sources for Canada! We’d also love guest posts about sources for other countries so get in touch with us if you’re interested in contributing